Therapeutic Essential Oils are highly effective in their actions and often more so effective than the same amount of the herb itself. The plants, when freshly picked will typically have less than 1% to 2% essential oil in them. Safe usage of the essential oils will also depend on the essential oil used, the persons body type, and their lifestyle.
Because the Therapeutic Essential Oils are so powerful, Healers should be aware of the potential dangers of the oils. Just like the numerous benefits of plants that are eaten every day, an essential oil can and they often do contain toxins that can be harmful if taken to the extreme. The good thing about essential oils is with the normal usage of a couple drops, even with the most toxic oil variety, we are well within the safety zone and far below the potential toxic effects.
Example: Wintergreen is poisonous when taken internally in large amounts, however, even the FDA & TGA approves small flavouring amounts for use in recipes. Oils have been used for a long time and are natural but can be poisonous when misused, just the same as most consumer products. Keep all essential oils out of the reach of children as they are notorious for putting everything in their mouth and do not grasp moderation. Essential oils can cause rashes to the more sensitive skin types and each body reacts differently. An educated Healer should use the oils with wisdom and understand the safe internal and external use of the essential oils.
- With small children, you always want to be extra careful. They have more sensitive skin and are smaller. When starting out with any new essential oil, always use a very small amount mixed with a carrier oil. Even though you may understand how the oils work on you, it is important to understand how the oils work on your child.
- When pregnant, always consult with your physician or midwife. Also take care to avoid hormonal balancing essential oils like Clary sage. Again, normal usage of only a couple drops, a couple times a day topically is usually within the safety zone. That being said, wisdom is first. Consulting with a health adviser that understands essential oils and knows your personal overall health factors is always wise.
- Some essential oils can be fatal if taken internally. It has been reported that as little as 5 ml of Eucalyptus globules can be fatal for infants. Plant research is ongoing since all flora on the planet is still being discovered. Poison Control is a real-time service with a more exhaustive resource for essential oils and all consumer products. Again in the small normal usage of a couple drops, you are well within the safety limits for even the most internally toxic essential oil.
- You will also want to be careful when dispensing an essential oil from the bottle. Each oil has a different thickness and will be dispensed at different speeds.
For example, if you turn a bottle of Orange oil upside down you will probably get ten drops to pour out in a second or two, but if you turn a bottle of patchouli upside down, it may take twenty seconds to get one single drop from the bottle.
- As you begin using the therapeutic oils, it is best to start with two or three drops diluted in a carrier oil. (Purchasing carrier oil for dilution, with your essential oils is recommended) Use them in moderation until you know how your body is going to respond. If you experience an adverse reaction to the oils, slow down on your use of natural products and allow your body a chance to get used to and understand the oils. It may be wise to temporarily discontinue their use and start an internal cleansing program before resuming regular use.
- Many essential oils, like Lemon and Tea Tree, will eat away low quality plastics and furniture lacquer. It is highly advisable to use a glass spray bottle and always avoid spraying directly on any surface that has been lacquered.
- Keep the essential oil a ruler length away (as a good rule of thumb) from anything electrical including the compressor motor portion of the diffuser. Electricity can scramble and interfere with the balance of the essential oils energy, so try to keep your atomizer cap and bottle of essential oil away from power outlets, appliances, computers, and so forth. The best type of diffuser to use is an Air carrier diffuser. These types of diffusers do not contain any metal and typically have at least 12 inches of air line to facilitate electrical separation from the essential oil supply. It normally takes about eight to twenty four hours for the essential oils to return back into balance once it has come in contact with electrical interference.